Monday, April 09, 2007

The Stork visits on Easter







We have a baby girl!!!


We got the call from Lindsey at CHSFS on Thursday morning. Actually I should say, I got the call at my office sitting at my desk. Lindsey told me she had a referral for me and Joshua. I started bawling. Buster and Donnie came into my office because they thought a tragedy had happened. I gave them a thumbs-up and they got the hint... She began to tell me about the basics and then said she was sending me and Josh a simultaneous email. Then I got off the phone and had to tell Josh! I called him on his cell. No answer. Again. No answer. Work phone. They said he had left for several appointments and didn't have his phone with him....



So I am thinking, I am going to flip out if I don't tell him soon!!! And I don't want to tell anyone else OR open my email with our new daughter's picture in it until we can look at it together!!! FINALLY, after three+ agonizing hours, he called me back. We opened the email together and cried and cried, both in our separate offices. We were so overwhelmed when we saw her!


First of all, we were expecting a boy. We told our agency that we would take a girl or a boy. But statistically, most people who adopt ask for a girl, so that meant that if you don't request a gender you have more chance for a boy. Plus, several girls had been referred to families in recent weeks so we thought, for sure, we'll get a boy. After we got over the shock that she was a SHE, we were amazed to find out how young she is. She is 3 1/2 months old and is beautiful! We only have two pictures of her. They are very similar. She looks completely shocked and surprised by the camera. Perhaps this was her first experience with a flash? At least it looks that way! We cannot show you her full picture yet, due to legal reasons, but we will post it as soon as we can! I can tell you that she has big beautiful brown eyes and beautiful smooth cocoa skin. I love it!



Her name will be Sophia Yenenesh Ray and we're going to call her Sophie.


Sophia is the name we chose for her first name. It means "wisdom". And, yes, Yenenesh is part of our Ethiopian name. It means "you are mine". We wanted to honor her birth family by using this special part of her name. Kinda reminds you of Isaiah 43:1: (NASB)


"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name; you are Mine!

I hope I can always remember that Sophie, first of all, belongs to God.

Thanks for all your encouragement as we're waited! Now we need your prayers for her health while we wait to go get her, and for our case to go through the Ethiopian courts smoothly and quickly!


And, of course, I have to get busy getting ready! I already hit a consignment sale this weekend! (Here's the evidence!)

33 comments:

TDavis said...

We are so excited about Sophie!!! What a cute little hand...I know she's beautiful. Can't wait to meet her. Now we just have to pray the next few weeks fly by for you guys!

Kellie said...

Congratulations!!! What wonderful news! My husband and I also received a referral for a baby girl when we were expecting a boy, and a bit sooner than we expected. I had been so sure our first child would be a boy that I had lots of clothes to exchange :) Anyway, we are so happy for you and wish you a quick travel date so you can bring your lovely girl home forever.

amber said...

Oh Brooke, I have tears in my eyes. I am SO excited for you and Josh and for Sophie's arrival in to your home. Can't wait to see that sweet little face!

Larissa Smith said...

Sophia is a beautiful name. I absolutely cannot wait for you guys to bring her back here so we can all meet her! Brooke, I can't believe you had to wait so long to open that email. I mean, good for you that you waited for Josh, but that must have been excruciating. I'm definitely going to be praying that your court date is very very soon. Baby girls rock!

Whitney said...

We are also so excited about Sophie, and so happy for you and Josh! We cannot wait to meet her in person! We will keep all of you in our prayers during the next few months- it's GO TIME!!! :)

parkspicks said...

Congratulations! I have been keeping up with your blog- I know this is an exciting time for you! I hope the next few weeks goes smoothly for you and your new baby girl!
By the way- I was at HU and a Kojie when you were there. I was a Wiley.
Best Wishes and I am so happy for you!
Amy

Kristen said...

I am so excited about this, so I can't imagine how you and Josh must be feeling. A daughter...can you believe it? You are a mommy now! I can't wait to see you guys and meet sweet Sophie (love the name too).

I love all three of you!!

Dallas said...

Yea! A sweet little girl! I am so happy for you both (well, actually all three of you!). Her name is beautiful and so is her hand. How much longer before you get to go and get her? Have fun shopping!

khovater said...

YEA!!!! What wonderful news! We will continue to pray for her health and safety. Love you guys!

Lily.Bart said...

Awesome! I'm thrilled for you, and can't wait to meet her! It seems like it's been forever, and yet at the same time, so fast...wow, this is so amazing!

Julie said...

Nothing but tears right now.

I think adoption is the best metaphor we have for our relationship with Christ. He sought us out, chose us, and made us His. For you guys to do this is to take part in one of the most sacred, Christ-like processes I can think of. And I love you for it!

I am praying that God is holding every day in His hand. Enjoy the next 12 weeks together! I know you are itchin now to get her, but just soak up your last times of fancy free coupledom!

I love you Sophia Yenenesh Ray!

Molly said...

Oh my goodness! That's so exciting. I can't believe it's finally all coming together! I am pumped to get back and meet her! Have fun shopping for Sophie!

Josy Rah said...

All I know is, that little girls dad must be a stud!!!

jBullfrog said...

I started to tear up a little myself reading this... reminds me of getting our referral. So very, very happy for the THREE of you ;)

congratz!!!

Max's Family said...

I am sitting here with tears running down my face! I am so excited for y'all!!! I love the picture of her hand and arm. I'm sure you've memorized her sweet little face. I'll be praying for sweet Sophie and that you will get to go get her soon!

Heather said...

That is wonderful news! I'm tearing up in my office. Congratulations on little Sophie. I can't wait to see pictures.

Jesse Faris said...

This post kicks the plastic cups post's butt.

We are so overjoyed that we get to share in a tiny piece of your experience. We are thrilled for you guys and praying constantly for sweet Sophie!

We love you and Josh (and now Sophia) so much!

Amy said...

Congratulations, Brooke. The name is beautiful. Can't wait to see more pictures!

Mae said...

How exciting for you all!!! Blessings and TONS of shopping, preping and lovingly getting ready for sweet Sophie. Miss you guys! :) Mae Anne

kathryn said...

I definitely have tears in my eyes! Wonderful!

Bryan and Sarah said...

We are so happy for y'all. We will be praying for you and Josh and Sophie. I love her name. I pray that the next few weeks fly by for you guys.

Larissa Smith said...

Josy Rah? I could have sworn for just a second that said Joash Bay...weird, huh?

Daniel said...

Great news!!! This is a truly life changing experience. I remember when we first got our refferal. We were so excited about our new son. Keep us posted about what is going on. I will praying for the health of the child and for your own spiritual and emotional health as you await court dates, embassy dates, and travel. God bless. I am so happy for you.

Tarah said...

Brooke,
How exciting!!! I am so thrilled for you both. Time will seem to go so slowly for a few weeks, but once you get a travel date, it will fly by!!! :) Congrats.
Tarah H (chs)

ashley hodge said...

what a precious precious meaning behind her name. i lover her already and am praying for all 3 of you.

LeslieJerkins said...

plastic cups schmastic cups

WE LOVE SOPHIE YES WE DO!
God is so good.

Rebekah said...

hey I am so excited for you all; I am reminded daily how amazing our God is!!!

Summer Dale said...

That is such exciting news.! We are thrilled for your family. Thanks for keeping us updated in this awesome journey!

Michelle Edgerson said...

I am trying to hold back the tears as I type this. Hallelujah!!!
Congrats to both of you.
Love,
Michelle and Brandon.

Cari said...

Brooke! That is amazing! Congratulations on your Easter baby! I'm excited to meet little Sophie.

Jenn said...

oh wow! i am so happy! watching families get their referrals brings hope to us... who are in the middle of paperwork. yes there is a child at the end of this! i can't wait to see her pic! and a girl! wow! congratulations! i am so happy for you brooke!

Sandi said...

Brooke,

I am behind on blogging, so I just read your news -- praise God!!! I am so happy for you guys! What a precious life Sophie will have in your family. I know that she will be showered with love and will fill your hearts with joy.

Jamie Chitty said...

I just now read this. I am so excited for you guys!!! You are going to be a fantastic mommy. I can't wait to meet her. I love the name Sophie. I actually love it so much that it was the name i had picked for my first girl. Can i still use it?