Thursday, March 15, 2007

Latte inspired rambling
















Yesterday I had a thought after leaving my local Starbucks. (I know I am so cliche.) I drop into Starbucks about 3 or 4 mornings a week. I see the same people there over and over. There's a guy from my church who runs his own business and is always working in Starbucks. There's the barista guy with a ponytail and glasses who is friendly and after many many attempts has finally memorized my grande half caf nonfat with lite whip toffee nut latte. There's the friendly happy girl, who works occasionally, who gets my drink ready before the time I even reach the front of the line to order, and says "Brooke, here's yours." I love when she's working. I completely understand the world's fascination with the place. It is warm. I feel at home. I like seeing such a cross-section of the city - students, business people, retirees, cops, young, old, some reading the paper, others studying some type of medical book, others holding hands and talking softly to their love, others just in and out, back to whatever it is they are in a rush to do. Something about it makes me feel good. I think there is something great about "knowing" these strangers, and them calling me by name and vice versa.


I'm not the first person to feel like that, of course. We all remember Norm, from Cheers. (Yes, I know its a show about a bar. Stick with me here, church people.) His character, along with the show's theme song, showed the world how great it was for people to know you by name. Here's the words we all remember.

sometimes you wanna go
where everybody knows your name,
and they're always glad you came.
you wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
you wanna be where everybody knows
your name.

I love hearing my name, especially by people close to me. I like saying people's names. I probably say Josh's name to him or about him a hundred times a day. I love when Josh says my name or my many nicknames to me or when he introduces me or tells me he loves me. I think it would be the pinnacle of loneliness not to hear your name said aloud during a day.

Why is that? Some of you are thinking I'm a freak, others of you might relate.

Well, this morning, when I looked at my "verse of the day" (some cards I made up with differnet verses) I saw something very similar!

Isaiah 43
1 But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you, O Jacob, he
who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed
you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you
pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk
through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you
ablaze.
3 For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your
Savior.

I like the CEV's wording of verse 1b:
I have called you by name; now you belong to me.

Now that's something to imagine, right? God calling out my name. God being so familiar with me that he doesn't have to rack his brain to remember my name, or my favorite anything... or my needs, or my fears, or my questions. He is familiar with me. He made me. And I shouldn't be afraid because of that! I like to think of him saying, "Hello, Brooke, will you please relax? You have been redeemed! You have me on your side! You don't need to be afraid of what might happen in this world, Brooke! I am God, and I made you, Brooke, and I can handle this stuff you're freaking out about!"

Not only that, but God is already familiar with my child because He made him/her. Our baby already belongs to God!He or she has a name that God knows right now. How cool is that.

Hope these thoughts can encourage you a little bit today, too!

6 comments:

Max's Family said...

Brooke,
I loved your post today. I can relate to all of it. I especially loved your verse of the day. It is one of my favorites. Praying for you, Josh, and your baby...Kelly

Larissa Smith said...

Just think, if you are within months of bringing your baby home, that means he or she has already been born. It's fun to imagine that little life waiting for you guys halfway around the world. And to imagine that God knows our every detail is a great reminder when He sometimes feels so huge that we can't possibly matter.

On a lighter note, I love going into a coffee shop because of the smell. The permeating scent is like a warm blanket that just wraps you up and you feel more peaceful and able to relax. Ironic, isn't it? That the place where people get caffeine is where they go to unwind.

Anonymous said...

brooke - we are kindred spirits on the love for starbucks. our "local starbucks" is one and the same and i too love the familiar strangers. rudy and i even make up names for the ones we don't know (melvin the homeless but intelligent guy with intruiging conversations). i know i could get up and make my own coffee every morning, but i's really not the same. jeff - the ponytail friendly barista - told me this week he met someone in the taco bell parking lot with her drink before she could even get out of her car. now that's service. starbucks has been one of my recent "budget cuts" ( i know it's sad i have coffee in my budget, but there are many things i forsake for my choice of expensive coffee). it really has been the cut that hurts. i'm looking for something else that fills that grande caramel mocha craving that doesn't cost 4 bucks and 6 weight watchers points. any ideas?

i've also gone from "nonfat caramel mocha girl" to ashley from the baristas and have a smiling how are you friendship with the local strangers. we kind of have a "scrub club" for the hospital workers in the mornings. we're easily identified. i agree i love hearing my name and try to call others by theirs. i loved your verse today. kristen williamson paints that verse on her new baby signs with the baby's name. it's my favorite baby present .

sorry for the long comment. i really should break down and get my own blog!- ashley

Melody said...

Wow! I can so identify with your post today... and I love those verses. It helps me often to remember that God knows everything about a person from their name on up and he knows what they need (at least when I remember to rely on God and not try to do it all myself). And I remember even less often to apply that to myself (thanks for the reminder). About Starbucks... I'm only at the point where every once in a while they realize they've seen me before that week. :) But I thought it was great when the barista seemed to recognize me this morning. Hmmm... you'd think we'd have run into each other more often at Starbucks... though until this week I was doing a good job of cutting back!

Tesney said...

I feel the same way about Bad Ass Coffee Co. I love going in with Clayton and having all the "regs" make comments about him and talk to me like we're old friends. It's probably more of the stay-at-home-mommy-desperate-for-adult-conversation coming out in me, but it's nice to have such a diverse group of friends that I get to see every day and would never know outside of our little coffee world. I've even had two people visit our church & gained a great babysitter from the group. Fun times. I also love the deeper meaning of your post. Great thoughts.

Ted and Lori said...

Oh, lovely lovely thoughts. Reading this felt like my devotion for today. What a great reminder that He knows us (do you know the Tommy Walker song, "He Knows My Name"?).