Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Home Study - Check!

Wanted to let all of you know that our home study was completed last night. Our house was spotless (I can say that, because I had someone clean it that morning) and our meeting with our social worker was great. We also had an "online meeting" with our agency and other families adopting with them from Ethiopia. Got some new info that was helpful to hear.

Some of you have been wondering about our adoption. Here are the answers to a few of your questions:

We are planning to adopt a baby under the age of 12 months. We cannot choose the gender because we don't have any kids yet. This is a policy of my agency only, not the country.

The basic process is this: Local agency home study, apply to immigration, apply to large agency (in our case CHSFS), dossier sent to country, wait for referral (the child is a match for us), then travel 6ish weeks later.

Time to wait on a referral is about 4-6 months. That time will start when our dossier is accepted in Ethiopia, as I understand it.

So when will we be parents? Probably looking at early spring at this point.

Glad to be moving on to the next stage of the process! Thanks for your prayers.

Want to see what another family had to say? Click here for a short video.

I plan to address the "Why are you doing this?" question in a coming blog. :)

4 comments:

Larissa Smith said...

I know you're so glad to be able to check one of those steps off! I liked the video - apparently they had a really good experience with this agency, and their little girl is absolutely precious! We're so excited for you!

Tesney said...

I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET HIM/HER!!! I'm so excited for you guys.

Karie said...

That video was great. As I watched it I automatically pictured you and Josh sitting there holding your precious baby that God has chosen for you. You are both going to be such awesome parents and I am so very excited be a part of your journey.

Love you,
Karie

Dallas said...

Brooke, I am so excited that you have gotten one thing checked off of your long list. I have had several friends adopt and have been able to witness their journey; it is such an incredible one! I will be praying for you as you go through the process.